Nowadays, several felines suffer from dietary allergies. Some of the most incredible meals to feed a cat with nutritional problems are listed below.
Food allergies often cause itchy, flaky skin, continuous scratching, paw biting, and overall discomfort in cats. These symptoms may go in a couple of weeks if the cat’s diet is changed. However, which meal may assist ease allergy symptoms? As a cat might be allergic to several substances, there is no definitive solution, but certain meals arepreferable to others.
Common Food Allergens in Cat Food
Usually, an animal develops an allergy after years of consuming the same food. If cats consume the same item for a lengthy period, they might acquire an allergy to nearly anything. However, common pet food components seem to cause most allergic responses in pets. These constituents are:
- Egg and/or cheese are examples of dairy products.
- Eliminate these substances immediately if your cat suffers from food allergies.
- Veterinary Prescription Diets vs. Food From Specialty Retailers
After diagnosing cats with food allergies, doctors often attempt to convince the owner to purchase a hypoallergenic prescription diet. Although these prescription diets are often effective, they are not always the best option for your cat. Prescription diets are often pricey and may not always include the most nutritious ingredients.
Food allergies may not usually need a prescription diet for a cat. However, a pet specialty store may show you hypoallergenic food that delivers superior nutrition and often costs less than a veterinarian-prescribed diet.
Selecting a Quality Hypoallergenic Cat Food
Three factors make a bag of cat food an excellent option for an allergic kitty.
- The diet has a single meat protein, uncommon in pet food. Examples include duck, deer, and salmon. As most cats have not been exposed to these proteins, their bodies have not acquired an allergy to them.
- A restricted diet is used to discover the specific source of the allergy. The fewer components a product has, the simpler it is to identify the allergen.
- None of the most common allergies found in pet chow are present in the product.
Here are some excellent options for dry food for cats with food allergies:
- Natural Equilibrium
- Merrick Before Grain Now!
- Taste of the Wild’s
- Solid Gold
These meals offer appropriate nutrition, are easily accessible, and come with a satisfaction guarantee. A salesperson at a pet specialty store will gladly discuss the advantages of these meals with you and make a personal suggestion.
Cats with severe allergic responses may need a vegetarian diet in extreme situations. A vegetarian diet should only be considered after all other options have failed. Cats are not vegetarians and should not be fed a vegetarian diet indefinitely.
Raw Food Diets
Cats with food allergies have benefited tremendously from raw diets. The main disadvantage of natural meals is that they require considerable effort from pet owners. In addition, raw diets are costly, time-consuming, and need supplementation. However, even if you do not have the time or money to feed a raw diet, ultimately, including a raw diet into the feeding routine of any pet will dramatically enhance its health and battle allergies.